Silicone products – the new normal
Silicone products have been in existence for many years. Yet, companies had not embraced it for product production purposes. Part of this was because of the heavy cost associated with molding silicone.
Also, according to makeyourownmolds.com it cost $19 – $25.00 per pound compared to $1.80 per pound for ABS plastic. However, consumer behavior is now pivoting towards silicone products. Kate Harrison, a contributor for Forbes magazine wrote an article why she will not buy BPA-free products for her son. Her mentality has now changed. In Kate’s new article; Will Silicone Replace BPA-Free Plastics For Kids’ Products, she discusses the benefits of silicone. In short, silicone is a safe bet for consumers compared to plastics. Also, consumers are pushing for silicone products. In our industry, we are seeing more household items made of silicone and the trend is growing. These silicone items include: utensils, cellphone cases, silicone wristbands and other medical items. Companies like Modern-Twist, ezpz , and Sili Kids are making silicone products for kids.
Silicone products are becoming the new normal. This raises the questions; why silicone? Silicone is unique in nature and offers more benefits than plastic based products.
The benefits of Silicone products:
- – Durability. Silicone retains its physical and chemical properties despite any exposure to environmental extremes.
- – Safety – Silicone is environmentally Silicone is food-grade and a non-toxic polymer made from silica (sand). Silicone can withstand heating and freezing without leaching or off-gassing. Silicone also does not have hazardous chemicals – unlike plastics.
- – Odor- and stain-resistant.
- – Hypoallergenic, and because of its smooth surface, silicone is very easy to clean.
- – Silicone does not break. It is the perfect material for eco-friendly and non-toxic baby products in particular.
- – Silicone can withstand high or low temperatures without any corrosive or moisture permeability.
- – Flexibility – Allows multiple Silicone wristbands for example are a good marketing tool. They can convey a product message for a campaign or event. Silicone Keyboards are flexible and easily portable for any use. Cellphone covers and cases made with silicone are smooth, protective and trendy.
- – Silicone Mats are ideal for marketing to new born parents and the list goes on.
Silicone products marketing & printing
Considering the benefits outlined above silicone will eventually replace plastic products. This silicone trend is set to continue. This is according the article Meeting Demand in the Ad Specialties Market.
The challenge to producers is how to market silicone products to consumers. How can printing companies take advantage of this new silicone product trend?
Boston Industrial Solutions, Inc. has engineered two silicone ink lines for printing on any silicone.
- SE Silicone ink line: Heat cured ink for printing on any silicone & rubber based products.
- DC™ Silicone ink: Air cured ink for printing on heat sensitive silicone products.
Printing companies now can print on any type of silicone product with confidence.
Please visit our website or call us at +1 (781) 281 2558 for more info.